Countless species of molds are found both indoors and outdoors.  Walls, clothes, books and even CDs can’t hide from mold growth. It can turn pricey possessions into musty moldy materials that would only fit in the garbage can.

To what extent should we be worried about mold when it conquers our homes? If it started to cause damage to the possessions we have, what harmful effects can it do to our bodies? In this issue, here are what causes molds to grow, its health alarming effects and ways on how we can avoid or prevent them.


If for a few days the weather’s been very humid, molds have a greater chance to invade your home. Molds usually start to grow on walls, benches and other surfaces because of the wet air during rainy days. Drying clothes indoors on clothes lines or stands is one of the common culprits.


The most known cause of mold to develop at home is flood. Obviously your house will be wet for a number of days and would take even weeks to dry. There is a huge possibility of mold growth.

Leaks from Roof


Most of the time a roof that leaks into a room might not be easily discovered until there is already a mold outbreak. Check every room including your attic regularly and keep an eye at ceilings. If you notice that there was water damage or discoloration, molds may have grown.

Leaking Pipes

A damaged roof and leaking pipes are common causes of mold growth. The leaks that are hidden out of view are the worst leaks because it is hard to be detected and probably. That’s why it’s always better to have maintenance check to these parts of your home.


Molds can produce allergens or irritants that can be harmful to health and can affect individuals differently.

Mold allergies produce just the same symptoms as other allergies. Airborne substances affecting the upper respiratory tract could be the root of these symptoms. Symptoms may be:

  • Clogged or runny nose, itchy nose
  • Itchy throat
  • Sneezing
  • Watery eyes

People who already have asthma are exposed to higher level of risks.


Evidently, molds can affect your health. Even if some studies suggested that molds do not cause health problems, the presence of mold indoors is really not good idea. As long as you can, watch out for possible mold growth as these might be harmful to everyone. Regularly clean your house. There is no safer place than a clean, airy, dry and mold-free environment.