Earlier this May, the College of the Sequoias day care facility had been closed due to visible mold growth in several areas of the buildings.  Close to 100 children and parents were impacted by the building evacuation and re-location of the facility on the campus.

The mold was first noticed my an employee who recognized the darkening on the wall as actual mold growth.  Results from the laboratory indicate that the mold found growing on the wall, was indeed Stachybotrys.

Stachybotrys chartarum is typically a greenish-black mold that can be found in properties with water damage or highly elevated humidity levels. It can grow on common materials found in buildings that contain a high cellulose and low nitrogen content. These include items such as fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, dust and lint. Growth occurs when there is moisture from water damage, excessive humidity, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration or flooding.

“Stachybotrys chartarum has been vilified by the media, resulting in strong public perception of the existence of good molds and bad molds, dangerous black molds, and deadly toxic molds,” reported Derrick A. Denis, V.P. Indoor Environmental Quality at CSC. “Color has nothing to do with the potential for mold related health effects. All molds can be irritants and allergens for susceptible populations, and some molds can infect or intoxicate susceptible populations. As a result of the potential for health effects, visible mold growth is considered unacceptable in indoor environments and the airborne mold concentrations indoors should be similar to those outdoors. These criteria for an acceptable environment apply to daycare centers and other occupied spaces,” he continued.